TALKING EARLY DETECTION THIS NOVEMBER
Mouth Cancer Foundation Ambassador, Dentist, Dr Philip Lewis will be lecturing on all things to do with the early detection of mouth cancer at Professional Dentistry North in Manchester on 2nd and 3rd November.
One of the key ways to catch any disease early is to know the signs and symptoms. For mouth cancer it is worth getting further advice from a doctor or dentist if you notice any of the following symptoms…
- An ulcer or white or red patch anywhere in the mouth that does not heal within 3 weeks.
- A lump or swelling anywhere in the mouth, jaw or neck that persists for more than 3 weeks.
- A difficulty in swallowing, chewing or moving the jaw or tongue.
- A numbness of the tongue or other area of the mouth.
- A feeling that something is caught in the throat.
- A chronic sore throat or hoarseness that persists more than 6 weeks.
- An unexplained loosening of teeth with no dental cause.
During this year’s Mouth Cancer Action Month we are promoting our Bite Back at Mouth Cancer campaign, which shows the general public how to check themselves for mouth cancer and become more aware of any changes occurring around the mouth, head and neck areas. Knowing how to do a simple mouth check for mouth cancer will increase early detection of anything more serious. Use this November to tell all your family, friends and colleagues about this self-check and we will go a long way to beating mouth cancer. For more information visit http://www.mouthcancerfoundation.org/get-involved/bite-back-mouth-cancer.