WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR MOUTH?
Did you know…?
…an ulcer that does not heal within 3 weeks should be check out.
…lumps or swellings in the mouth, jaw or neck should be checked out.
…persistent sore throats for more than 6 weeks should be checked out.
With November only two weeks away everyone is gearing up for Mouth Cancer Action Month. Here at the Mouth Cancer Foundation we are continuing to raise awareness through our Bite Back at Mouth Cancer campaign, which encourages everyone to know how to check themselves for mouth cancer and become more aware of any changes occurring around the mouth, head and neck areas. We recommend you seek advice from a doctor or dentist if you notice any of the following symptoms…
- An ulcer or white or red patch anywhere in the mouth that does not heal within 3 weeks.
- A lump or swelling anywhere in the mouth, jaw or neck that persists for more than 3 weeks.
- A difficulty in swallowing, chewing or moving the jaw or tongue.
- A numbness of the tongue or other area of the mouth.
- A feeling that something is caught in the throat.
- A chronic sore throat or hoarseness that persists more than 6 weeks.
- An unexplained loosening of teeth with no dental cause.
Mouth Cancer Foundation Founder, Dr Vinod Joshi, says “Learning how to ‘Bite Back at Mouth Cancer’ is a simple way we can help ourselves. Knowing how to do a simple mouth check for mouth cancer and being vigilant about what is happening in and around our mouths will alert us and increase early detection of anything more serious. Use this November to tell all your family, friends and colleagues about this self-check and we will go a long way to beating mouth cancer. For more information visit http://mouthcancerfoundation.org/get-involved/bite-back-mouth-cancer.