MEDIA ALERT – LEADING MOUTH CANCER CHARITY IS 10 YEARS YOUNG!
EMBARGO 00:00 SUNDAY 3RD MAY 2015
- FOUNDER OF THE MOUTH CANCER FOUNDATION – DR VINOD JOSHI
To set up an interview and for more information please call Media Ambitions on 0208 940 2222.
“It has been a great privilege for our small charity to have helped so many patients, carers and survivors through their mouth cancer ordeal and play an important part in raising awareness of mouth cancer. We have done much in 10 years but there is much more that needs to be done.”
Founder, Dr Vinod Joshi
Today, the Mouth Cancer Foundation, one of the UK’s leading mouth cancer charities celebrates its 10th anniversary.
Founded by Dr Vinod Joshi, the charity started as a website to help patients going through the crisis of cancer by providing information about their illness and much needed support through its online community. This role has grown and the charity is now dedicated to the relief of sickness as well as promotion of good health among those suffering or at risk of mouth, throat and other head and neck cancers. It is playing a vital role in increasing the publics’ awareness of these debilitating mouth cancers and the importance of early detection of their signs and symptoms.
As part of its 10th anniversary celebrations, the Mouth Cancer Foundation has embarked on three major initiatives:
Bite Back at Mouth Cancer is a brand new self-check examination, which will launch later this year. The initiative, a simple mouth cancer check which can be carried out in a matter of minutes by everyone and will save lives, encourages us all to examine our own mouth, head and neck area at least once a month. It will be led by Channel 4’s Embarrassing Bodies Dr Dawn Harper and will launch later this year.
A fundraising online auction for a fantastic 3 day break on board a mega yacht in Mallorca. The White Star Charter shipping company has kindly donated a luxury 3 day charter for 11 people on board the 86ft luxury yacht ‘The Lady Tatiana of London’ or ‘Lady Alehna of London’ based in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. Bidding for this item will start at 09:00 am and finishes on Saturday, 19th September 2015. The starting price is £4,000 and the market value of the package is in excess of £16,000. The funds raised will help fund our ongoing activities. For full details visit http://www.mouthcancerfoundation.org/get-involved/white-yacht-charter-fundraiser
Mouth Cancer 10KM Awareness Walk. The charity’s hugely popular annual walking event returns this year on Saturday 19th September at 12 noon in London’s Hyde Park. The charity hopes to make this event even bigger and its most successful ever to raise much awareness of mouth cancer. To take part and for full details visit www.mouthcancerwalk.org.
Dr Joshi continues…“We reach our 10th birthday with mixed emotions. I am continuously impressed by the many courageous people who have, despite their own problems, support and inspire others through our online support community. This is so satisfying to see. Depressingly, the cases of mouth cancer have not decreased and the need for support of those diagnosed, and their families, remains. Hopefully, through our various initiatives to raise even greater awareness will save lives and reduce suffering.”
For more information about the Mouth Cancer Foundation, please visit www.mouthcancerfoundation.org
For general press enquiries, please contact:
Elizabeth Laverack or Izabela Nair
Media Ambitions - 020 8940 2222
NOTES TO EDITORS
The Mouth Cancer Foundation – www.mouthcancerfoundation.org
The Mouth Cancer Foundation is a registered charity no. 1109298.
The Mouth Cancer Foundation is a charity solely dedicated to supporting people affected by head and neck cancer. Support can play a pivotal role in meeting the psychosocial needs of patients. The Mouth Cancer Foundation’s online and telephone support service has given head and neck cancer patients and families the opportunity to articulate the consequences of their cancer journey and communicate their shared experiences. It is vital that the charity continues to provide free accessible information resources and ensure Mouth Cancer Foundation support is provided to those that need them.
About Mouth Cancer
- Around 60,000 people in the UK will be diagnosed with mouth cancer over the next decade.
- In the UK, 7,700 people were diagnosed with Mouth Cancer in 2011.
- Tobacco use is still considered the main cause of mouth cancer. According to the World Health Organisation, up to half of current smokers will die of a tobacco-related illness – including mouth cancer.
- Drinking to excess can increase the risk of mouth cancer by four times. Those who smoke and drink are up to 30 times more likely to develop mouth cancer.
- Mouth cancer is twice more common in men than in women, though an increasing number of women are being diagnosed with the disease.
- Age is another factor, with people over the age of 40 more likely to be diagnosed, though more young people are now being affected than previously.
- Poor diet is linked to a third of all cancer cases.
- Experts suggest the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), transmitted through oral sex, could overtake tobacco and alcohol as the main risk factor within the coming decade.
- Cancers can occur in any part of the mouth, tongue, lips, and adjacent areas like the throat, salivary glands, pharynx, larynx, sinus, and other sites in the head and neck area.
- An ulcer or white or red patch anywhere in the mouth that does not heal within 3 weeks.
- A lump or swelling anywhere in the mouth, jaw or neck that persists for more than 3 weeks.
- A difficulty in swallowing, chewing or moving the jaw or tongue.
- A numbness of the tongue or other area of the mouth.
- A feeling that something is caught in the throat.
- A chronic sore throat or hoarseness that persists more than 6 weeks.
- An unexplained loosening of teeth with no dental cause.
10th Anniversary PR.doc